October 20, 2012

Wait, a Words With Friends Board Game?

I rarely pay attention to commercials. They're my least favorite thing about watching TV. (I don't think I'm alone in this either.) Last night, though, I happened to catch one that boggled my mind.

It started out with a claim something along the lines of "Now, you can turn your favorite digital game into real life!" When I looked up, expecting some crazy visual of people throwing birds at stacks of pigs, I actually saw something that made me laugh out loud. This magically tangible digital game was.....Words with Friends.

I'm sorry, what?

The popular mobile game comes to life!

Is making Words with Friends "come to life" actually a revolutionary thing? I'm pretty sure this existed way before smartphones were even a thought. Although I can see that this is an opportunity for Hasbro to rebrand a really old product and make a new wave of money off of it, I feel like this claim isn't the way to approach it. Have we really already gone so far into the future that we can just pretend that Words With Friends came first and now it's a real life game? Probably not. There are so many other things that game companies like Hasbro could be profiting off of; this one is just silly.



No comments:

Post a Comment