September 4, 2012

Eight Months Later


At the Class of 2012 Senior Sendoff Barbeque in April, my classmates and I were told that we were about the first people to enter the real world since Penn State was completely overtaken by scandal, and that we were going to be the first ones representing PSU in the post-Sandusky-case world. Upon hearing this, I realized that the class of 2012 was going to have an extremely unique experience as the rest of the case unfolded.
Since that afternoon in April, Jerry Sandusky was convicted of 45 of the 48 charges against him, and most recently, Louis Freeh released his highly anticipated report that confirmed what we were all afraid of: Joe Paterno, Graham Spanier, Tim Curley, and Gary Schultz were aware of what was occurring and actively covered it up.
I’m not anywhere near State College right now, and I’m not sure if that has made it easier for me to generate rational thought about all of this information, but either way, I know there are a few things that I have figured out since this all began.
After months of skepticism, questioning all of the facts, being influenced by Penn Staters and non-Penn Staters alike, I have finally come to terms with the fact that a horrible thing has fallen upon the university that I hold so dear. Yesterday, it was confirmed that this is, in fact, a “Penn State Scandal,” not just a “Jerry Sandusky Scandal.” Four other very important men were involved, and not only did they do nothing, they actively covered up what they knew of the abuse that was occurring.
That said, and keeping in mind that I am one of the first who was a student when this started and is now in the “outside world,” I want to share the message that I try to send to everyone I encounter:
This situation is most certainly not representative of the entire University and its students, athletes, and faculty. One man committed many awful crimes, and four men enabled and overlooked them. The lives of these men are forever tarnished, and I could not be more ashamed because of them and their actions.
I, for one, am still incredibly proud of the degrees I earned and wouldn’t change the university name on them for anything. I did not choose to go to Penn State because of football or Joe Paterno. I chose Penn State because of the amazing quality of academics, because of the world-renowned professors, because of the boundless community associated with the university. I’ll always wear my colors with pride because I am more than those men, and the Penn State community is more than those men. WE are and always will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment